“Chess is the gymnasium of the mind.” - Blaise Pascal
Mavin Academy is an affiliate of US Chess Federation (USCF). We have guided many players to State and National ranking over the years. We bring comprehensive Chess program to individual students and School teams.
Register For Weekly Chess Classes: Email us at email@example.com for more information or to schedule a free trial class.
What our Chess program offers?
Our Chess Program framework includes 7 levels
- Level 1 – Rookie (Unrated) : New player with no or very little background in Chess.
- Level 2 – Beginner-1 (USCF Under-300) : Knows the Chess pieces and basic rules. Have played in non-competitive levels.
- Level 3 – Beginner-2 (USCF 300-600) : Player is playing or ready to play in competitive level.
- Level 4 – Intermediate-1 (USCF 600-900) : Mastered the foundation across Opening principles and basic Strategy & Tactics. Applies the concepts consistently, develops the game, able to handle middle and end games reasonably well.
- Level 5 – Intermediate-2 (USCF 900-1200) : Very active in the competitive Chess (online and OTB). Able to visualize candidate moves with 2-4 moves depth, able to create mating nets, mastered broader concepts such as Pins, Forks, Skewers & Opposition and knows basics of advanced concepts.
- Level 6 – Advanced-1 (USCF 1200-1500) : Mastering the advanced concepts such as Zugzwang, Zwischenzug, Combination attacks and complex sacrifices with forcing moves. Knows couple of Openings very well.
- Level 7 – Advanced-2 (USCF 1500-1800) : Mastered the concepts such as Zugzwang, Zwischenzug, Combination attacks and complex sacrifices with forcing moves. Mastered at least 3 common openings for White and Black. Knowledgeable in creating weaknesses for opponent, develop the game with in-depth strategy and mastered most of the middle and end game tactics.
Webinar by Grand Master Lenderman
Grand Master Lenderman shared his Chess journey, from his childhood to becoming a GM, challenges he overcame, strengths (both personal and Chess) he developed and more. Video recording is available to Mavin players on request.
Journey: Rookie to 1000 rating
Rookie to 1000+: Coach Katherine has shared wealth of experience here. It is a great read and journey map for all young players.
FAQ for New Chess Parents and Players
Frequently Asked Questions for new Chess parents and players.
Chess - Web Resources
Useful links to USCF and Chess news